Bronx New Deal - Photo #330 - Pedestrian Bridge to Bronx Park at 204th Street

Where East 204th Street dead-ends just east of Webster there is a foot bridge to French Charley's Playground in Bronx Park over the New York Central (now Metro North) Railroad tracks. This was part of the 1940 plan for the reconstruction of the northerly end of Bronx Park, so:
... in addition to housing the Zoological and Botanical Gardens, it will serve the neighborhood ... Up to this time, there was very little opportunity for active recreation in the park. Four playgrounds along the easterly boundary have already been opened to the public and the construction of this northerly area will fill a real community need. It will be developed with two children's playgrounds, one on the westerly side near 204 Street, and the other on Bronx Boulevard opposite Rosewood Street. Two softball diamonds and also a regulation baseball diamond will be provided. As a step toward the completion of this improvement the Transit Commission will start work Monday on the alteration and reconstruction of two bridges over the New York Central Railroad on the westerly boundary of Bronx Park ... The bridge at 204th Street will be remodeled for pedestrians use only. Automobile traffic will be eliminated and this bridge will become the principal pedestrian entrance to the portion of Bronx Park north of Mosholu Parkway now being developed by the Department of Parks as a recreation area.
Source: Department of Parks Press Release, July 29, 1940. Then a year later...
The Department of Parks announces completion of work in the northern section of Bronx Park ... [and then after describing two playgrounds on the East Side of Bronx Park...]  A similar structure is located near the westerly end of the two playgrounds, opposite East 203rd Street. The immediate surroundings of both playgrounds have been attractively landscaped. Drainage has been provided where necessary and a number of drinking fountains have been placed at convenient points on the newly constructed path system. All work was performed by the Work Projects Administration from plans prepared by the Department of Parks.
Source: Department of Parks Press Release, June 22, 1941.