Frank da Cruz and Peter da CruzVan Cortlandt Park in the Northwest Bronx, New York City's third largest park with an area of 1146 acres. The City acquired the land in 1888 and by 1914 had turned it into a park with with two golf courses, a parade ground for military use, cross-country running courses, and other features. Van Cortlandt Stadium and the adjoining Southwest Playground were built by the WPA in the 1930s, and Robert Moses (NYC Parks Commissioner) cut the park into pieces by running the new Henry Hudson Parkway through its northwest corner and running Mosholu Parkway up through its middle to join it. All of this, and more, was done with New Deal funds and labor as explained in the following pages. Click on the first image below to enter the gallery and read about each New Deal feature. All photos were taken by Frank da Cruz on August 9 and 10, 2015, except where otherwise indicated.
August 9-10, 2015
Last update: Wed Aug 12 20:27:50 2015