Oval Park 80th Anniversary Celebration 9 September 2017...
Williamsbridge Oval got its name because of its oval
shape, inherited from the reservoir it replaced. The park was built by the
New Deal Works Progress Administration (WPA)
in 1934-37. This might not be the most ambitious New Deal project in the
Bronx but it very well might be the one dearest to the most hearts.
Pictured above: Oval Park's Recreation Center in
WPA Classic Moderne
style, constructed from granite quarried and cut on the site by WPA
Oval Park is located in the center of the Norwood section of
the Bronx, one of the most culturally and racially diverse
neighborhoods in the City, if not the world. Oval Park was added to the
National Register of Historic Places on May 24, 2015, Registry ID
15000229. To see more photos of Oval Park, click the ▶ symbol above the top photo (but
first read more about the park below).
Oval Park in Winter 2012
(Click image to enlarge)
The Park's formal name is Williamsbridge Oval but it's known as Oval
Park or simply, the Oval. It is built on the former site of Gun Hill
Williamsbridge Reservoir, constructed in 1884-89, that supplied drinking
water until 1919 and then served as a swimming hole until it was drained
in 1925. It was converted into a park and
playground in 1934-37 in a 1.5 millon-dollar*
New Deal Works
Progress Administration (WPA) project, opening on September 11, 1937,
with renovations since then, most recently in 2010-2013. It includes playgrounds for
Google aerial view - click to enlarge
a field for football
, tennis courts
a 400-meter running track
, wading pools
and sprinklers, dog runs, picnic areas, benches; trees, grass, flowers, and
foliage; elevated promenades around the perimeter, and
a recreation center
with a gym, game
room, computer room, and public restrooms. It is also the site
, cultural events
and just hanging out; it is perhaps the most heavily (and well) used public
space in the Bronx. The fenced off area at lower left in the 2012 panorama
above was part of
project completed in November 2013
. In the
buildings. The park is more beautiful in the Spring,
Summer, and Fall, but then you can't get a panoramic view because of the
foliage; see image at bottom
* $1.5M 1935 dollars is equivalent to $26.8M in 2017.
Click below to view a gallery of photos from 1890 to 1945...
(new images added 17 May 2017)
- Abandoned Land in the Bronx and Upper Manhattan
Is Offered by Davidson, New York Times, April 4, 1934:
“Two city reservoirs unused for fifteen years, one in Manhattan and
the other in the Bronx, have been offered to Park Comissioner Robert Moses
to be used as park sites, Maurice P. Davidson, Commissioner of Water Supply,
Gas and Electricity, announced yesterday. ... The 13.1 acres of the
Williamsbridge Reservoir, just south of Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx,
might best be drained and used for park and playground purposes, in
Mr. Davidson's opion. The reservoir is forty-one feet deep.” This
Times article is cited by
Wikipedia as the source for its claim that the reservoir was originally
a natural lake but the Times article says no more about Williamsbridge
Reservoir than what is quoted here.
to Get Two Unneeded Reservoirs As Sites for Stadium and Swimming
Pool, New York Times, April 5, 1934, p.23.
to Cap Huge Play Center, New York Times, Thursday, May 9, 1935, p.15.
A detailed account of the initial plans for the park.
- New 20-Acre Playground Opened in Bronx,
New York Times, September 12, 1937:
This article affirms the creation of Oval Park by the WPA:
”...the Park Department obtained control of the site on June 27, 1934.
Since then ... about $1,500,00 [sic] has been spendt [sic] in buildng up the
new facilities. The job was done as a WPA project.” The opening
ceremony was presided over by Park Commissioner Robert Moses, Bronx Borough
President James J. Lyons, and Captain Howard L Peckham, deputy Works
Progress (WPA) administrator.
Department of Parks Press Release, September 10, 1937.
- Williamsbridge Playground
news release, NYC Department of Parks, February 12, 1938.
- Williamsbridge Reservoir,
National Register of Historic Places listings in Bronx County, New York:
"The Williamsbridge Reservoir property came under the control of the New
York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation on June
27, 1934. A new sport and play area covering 20 acres (8.1ha), known as
the Williamsbridge Oval Park and Williamsbridge Playground and Recreation
Center, opened there on September 11, 1937. A Works Progress
Administration project, the facilities cost $1,500,000 to build. It
features a Beaux Arts landscape and Art Moderne recreation center."
Oval, NYC Department of Parks & Recreation.
Oval Recreation Center, NYC Department of Parks & Recreation.
- Friends of the
- The Living New Deal,
University of California at Berkeley.
- Soll, David, Empire
of Water, An environmental and Political History of the New York City Water
Supply, Cornell University Press (2013), pp.77-78.
- Cruz, David, ICYMI:
Williamsbridge Oval Recreation Center Re-Opens, Norwood News,
December 16, 2013.
- da Cruz, Frank, "Acknowledge
Oval Park's Milestone", Norwood News, Vol.30, No.13, June 22
- July 5, 2017 (PDF) [HTML].
Oval Park, Facebook.
FDR's New Deal designed, constructed, and/or paid for a great many Bronx
landmarks besides Oval Park, including the
the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge
the Bronx County Courthouse
much of what is now Lehman College
the Maritime College campus
at Fort Schuyler,
Van Cortlandt Stadium
the Bronx General Post Office
Crotona Park, pool, and bathhouse
plus many neighborhood post offices and numerous schools, parks,
playgrounds, murals, mosaics, sculptures, infrastructure improvements,
surveys, and on and on, which are the subject of this
. To see hundreds of other photos of Oval Park (and other Bronx
landmarks, scenes, and slices of life) CLICK HERE