New Mexico School for the Deaf
: Building Number 2,
the School/Administration Building
, built in 1937 with some
combination PWA funds. Now called Dillon Hall. Architect: Gordon
Journal, 12 Sep 1937, p.10, photo caption: "...this building,
constructed with a $65,000 PWA allotment..."
Register Digital Asset, National Park Service, NPGallery Digital Asset
Management System website, National Register Information System ID:
88001560, accessed 14 July 2019: "The School Building Number 2 is
significant because it was the second building constructed under a program
to modernize the institution, it was a WPA project, and Gordon Street
was the architect. This building is one of six constructed in the late
1930's using WPA funds."
(WPA is a typo; it was PWA.)
Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet, National Park Service, 8
August 1988. This is a legible, searchable PDF of the form "thumbnail" that
appears in .
- C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown, Public Buildings: A Survey of
Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental
Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public
Works Administration, Washington DC, Government Printing Office (1939),
p.396. "Administration and Classroom Building, New Mexico Asylum for the
Deaf and Dumb", Santa Fe, New Mexico: The administration and classroom
building is the second unit to be constructed in the program to modernize
this institution. In addition to the administrative offices, it provides 24
classrooms for the teaching of deaf pupils, vocational shops, and in the
third-floor tower, a room for the teaching of special subjects where more
area is required than in the standard classroom. The construction is
fireproof. Exterior walls are load-bearing tile with a stucco finish.
Foundations and floor slabs are reinforced concrete and the roof is
bar-joist construction. The project was completed on December 1936 at a
construction cost of $136,228 and a project cost of $145,378." New Mexico
Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb was the original name for school; after a long
campaign, it was changed to New Mexico School for the Deaf by the state
legislature in 1923, but the old name "stuck" for several decades afterward.